sexta-feira, 25 de março de 2011

MY FAVOURITE TOWN IN THE ALGARVE

This town is definitely one of my very favourite places in the Algarve. I can't put my finger on why, but I feel good once I reach the outskirts of the town. It must be pleasurable anticipation, I suppose.
The place is steeped in history, of course, and unlike many countries you might visit, in the Algarve they appreciate and venerate the past.
I'm always amused by the 'Roman bridge'. It's such a loose use of the term. Yes, the Romans did put a bridge up just at that position, but there can't be much, if anything, left of the original. Certainly, what's there now is as Roman as I am.
Dodgy descriptions aside, that's a part of the town that I love, so I made sure we enjoyed a leisurely stroll around while we were there. The pace of life in Tavira is so laid-back that it's positively calming. I swear; even the driving seems to take place in slow-mo!
Mostly, I like to be by the river. That's not difficult, fortunately, as there are shaded gardens with bench seating and lots of riverside cafes and restaurants where you can feast your eyes as well as your stomach!
The histories of most places include violence and heroism, of course, and Tavira proudly displays this tiled plaque, which commemorates the bravery and selflessness of the locals who defended the 'Roman' bridge back in 1383 - 1385!
Some of the back streets have that faded ambience that I cherish. No different to derelict areas in the UK, I suppose, except that the decay looks warm and dry!
And we enjoyed a stroll around the Igreja de Santa Maria do Castelo and its surrounding cobbled streets when the flowers are blooming. What a delight it was this year...
We took in lots more of the sights, that I'll have to tell you about elsewhere, because next we set off in our little Fiat and headed down the coast road for...

Original text from here:

Sem comentários: